Isn’t it time for you to make a private retreat at Stella Niagara’s Center of Renewal? Sometimes just getting away from the hustle and bustle of our regular routine is just what we need to truly relax, refresh, and renew.
Private Retreats are described as retreats for an individual (by yourself or just a few other people with you also making private retreats). A private retreat can be a single day or longer; most people like to come for at least two nights or more, some even staying up to one month.
There are no specific time-frames for private retreatants other than meal times; otherwise you are on your own.
You may choose to spend your time in solitude, contemplative time by yourself, or you might opt to schedule time with a spiritual director, a person trained to guide your spiritual journey. If you chose to have a spiritual director, you would have made those arrangements with us in advance during your initial reservation. Spiritual directors are also able to help you structure your time and activities to make the most of your retreat experience.
Spiritual Direction is a ministry that has taken different forms over the years; it is sometimes also known as Spiritual Companioning. The focus is your experience of God and how communication occurs between you and God. Many people seek spiritual direction when they are yearning for a deeper meaning in their relationship with God. Perhaps they have come to a crossroad, find prayer difficult, or are exploring new forms of prayer that may be more life-giving. Often people wish to have a companion to assist them on their spiritual journey by being present and listening.
You can expect your spiritual director to keep the focus on your relationship with God. We believe that God is found in all things and is ever present. This reality enables us to find God’s invitations, urgings and confirmations. The director can ask reflective questions, point out resources, and assist in breaking through spiritual roadblocks and various resistances.
Regardless of whether you plan your personal retreat with or without a spiritual director, consider the 24 hours of each day as special times you set aside for activities to enrich your own spiritual journey … read, listen to music, be creative with artwork, watch the birds, deer, or squirrels and nature in all its glory on Stella Niagara’s extensive landscaped grounds, or just take time to think, ponder, write in a journal, take time to engage in physical exercise along with time for rest and relaxation. After all, you’re on retreat. This is time to invest in yourself, so you decide what would be best for you.
To make reservations for a private retreat:
- Call Stella Niagara’s Center of Renewal (716-754-7376) and talk with the retreat center staff to mutually select the best dates for your retreat. Booking earlier helps you secure your preferred date.
- Private retreatants are best scheduled with a minimum of two or more days advance notice, earlier if possible.
- Once the dates are determined, a Private Retreat Agreement and Invoice will be completed by our office to confirm the arrangements.
- Advance payment will be required in advance of your arrival date. Most private retreats will require full advance payment for accommodations and meals via credit card over the phone (VI-MC-DI).
- If there is adequate time until your arrival date, the signed agreement and payment via check can be sent to our office (or cash if paid in person in our offices; please do not send cash in the mail).
- Cancellations made at least 48 hours prior to the arrival date can have deposits refunded; otherwise, one 24-hour period of meals and room will be forfeited for late cancellations or no-shows.
- You will be asked for a specific anticipated time of arrival, and we do ask all retreatants to adhere to your expected arrival time due to our staffing capabilities.
- NOTE: Rates are subject to change. All costs below have been revised as of 9/1/21.
Meal Times and Individual Costs for Private Retreatants:
- MEALS: Breakfast 8:30 AM, Lunch 12:00 Noon, Dinner 5:30 PM
- Overnight Accommodations + Three Meals Per Day = $77 per person per 24-hour day. Appropriate adjustments can be made depending upon arrival and departure dates and times. Rooms run along a hallway with bathrooms and showers near both ends of the hall; each room has its own sink, furnishings, bed linens & towels. Each sleeping room has a window and a fan (no air conditioners), but meeting rooms are air conditioned throughout the building. This area typically has comfortable weather patterns most days of the year.
- Additional Costs Depending Upon Scheduled Arrival or Departure Times: (require advance commitment & payment):
- Overnight accommodations = $45 per person
- Breakfast = $8 per person
- Lunch = $10 per person
- Dinner = $14 per person
- Unlimited Non-Meal Beverages: Hot = $3/person/day. Cold = $3/person/day. Both hot & cold = $5/person/day.
- Day Retreat (no overnight room): $6 per person per day includes visit to the retreat center and public grounds plus available lounge seating. Requests for meals and/or hot & cold beverages from Center of Renewal Dining Room will be handled on an individual basis at additional cost.
- Upgraded Room (with private bathroom and/or shower): Four upgraded room are sometimes available @ an additional fee per night per room. (1) Rm. 221 or 321 (queen beds with half-baths) = $10 extra per night; (2) Rm. 219 (full-size bed, full bath w/tub & wall shower) = $15 extra per night; (3) Rm. 317 (full-size bed plus two twin beds, full-bath with larger shower and oversized room) = $20 extra per night.
- Spiritual Director: Typical fee to meet with spiritual director is $30 per day (assuming one session each day), variable if more time is arranged.
In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion.